Grow Box Temperature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow Box Temperature

Hello guys,it is my first time writing in here,im a new member and i took the chance to write and ask you some question for my first grow..I've recently set my grow box,custom made,it cost about 20 euros plus some things i already had like some intake fans..Before adding the seedlings i've started using it as there was a plant in there already just to record some things and check for problems that may occur..My one and only problem is this:high temperature..After half an hour of the lights working,temperature inside the growbox tends to go about 31-33 degrees Celcius..Ive read some articles that stated the highest the temp could go is 30,so i think it may cause plants to heat burn really quick..Any ideas on how to drop the temp about 3-4 degrees?Ive tried using ice and stuff,didnt work,ive already added another computer fan,12W and it only dropped about 1 degree..So please,if you have any ideas that may help,please feel free to share them with a newbie grower..Thanks everyone in advance!!

Poor man's air conditioner

Comment

• SuperCritical
      SuperCritical commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bro!!I've already made one but its not really convinient,it only helps for a couple of hours!Thanks a lot though,cheers from Greece!

I have another question,is it wise to put a computer fan about 10cm away from the light?i was thinking of adding one and have it hitting the bulb,maybe it can help produce less heat,any ideas??

Comment

More, or bigger fans is the answer. Pointing one directly at the bulb is a great idea and one that will work. Make sure the heat is able to vent though. There's no point in blowing the hot air from the bulb down onto the plant. Make sure there is an exit (fan or vent) above the bulb so that the heat can escape.

Comment

I just refurbished my hydro cabinet, my first grow in it I had similar heat problems it was staying upwards in the 90 degree F range and I couldn't get the humidity to drop below 60%. The grow area of my cabinet is 18" x 29" x 36" (total size of cabinet is 18"x29"x54").

To give you an idea of my new design, I use two groups of two 42w 2800 (3100k) lumen CFL's at the top near the center, about 3" apart. I also have three 23w 1300 lumen (5000k) cfl's spaced evenly on each opposing side walls. On the doors, I have two 28" fluorescent grow lights (full spectrum) that have 750 lumens each and run at like 17w or so. As you can imagine without air flow the cabinet gets into the upper 90 degree F temps.

For those keeping track that is a rough total of approximately 340 watts, 20,500 lumens, 5,694lm/sq.ft.

I digress, back to the heat. To address the heat issue, at the top behind and slightly above (about an 1" above) each of these top light groups is a 120mm computer case fan. At the bottom of the cabinet, I installed a high speed, 80mm cpu fan for the intake. This allows the 120mm fans at the top to work more efficiently.

When the cabinet is sealed up and all lights and fans running I now get a consistent temperature of 79 degrees F at the top directly between the lights, and at the bottom where the plants are, it stays a consistent 75 degrees F. It also, apparently naturally, maintains a consistent 43% humidity now.

I am really excited about this next grow, if I can keep the cabinet maintained at these levels, I should have a really nice return on my investment. Oh, and again for those keeping track, the only thing I've had to buy for this cabinet were the lights, so a total of about $40 in CFL's. Everything else I already owned.

Comment

Have a look at some of the space bucket designs. Having a fan mounted directly above the lights sucking air over them seems to work well.

Comment

Working...
          X