Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions on indoor stealth growing

Hey guys!
    I'm looking to stealth grow 1 or 2 auto-flowering plants in some sort of grow box, I'm looking at building it myself as it seems a lot cheaper, I'm renovating my garage, so that I can stay out there instead of in the house with my housemates and I'm looking to put the grow box in the garage with me, a few problems that I'm running in to are:

1. I understand auto-flowering plants usually sit pretty low (The max height on the white widow I'm looking at says 50cm's, not sure if that's before flowering, but it seems really small) but I'm still worried about the height of the container I'll need, I'm not looking at growing anything other than auto's, as I'm only growing for personal supply. So if anyone could suggest a height, that'd be good

2. When I build the box, what's the best way of making it light-leak proof? I understand that with neg air pressure and a carbon filter I can get rid of the smell, but light could be a dead give-away if not done right.

3. I have a girlfriend atm, I'm not 100% sure on how she stands about growing, she'd probably be cool with it, I'd rather keep it hidden from her, just in-case for the future, because I've heard some horrible stories about ex's getting mad and ratting out and shit... ANYWAY!! My main question is, even in an old locker, or something big enough to hold my plants, how do I explain that there's a locked box that never gets opened in my room, or would it be best to even hide that box somewhere? She's not living with me and won't be any time soon, but she's over nearly every weekend.

4. If I am going to hide that box, where could I hide it? I was thinking of going all out and building a false wall with some sort of concealed door and putting it behind that, but my house-mates would notice the wall being closer and question it, and also that seems like shit loads of work for 1 or 2 plants, I'll be having a fairly big walk in wardrobe in the back that I could put it in, but even then, once again, how do I explain there being that cabinet in there that no one goes in to? Because I'm sure at some point, my girl will be curious.

5. How important is watering it on time all the time? There's bound to be nights in with the girlfriend when I won't be able to just stroll into wherever I'm growing with a watering can and not be asked questions

I know that you're going to say to not do it if it's going to be so much hassle, but it really is a passion of mine to grow my own supply and it's important to me to know that my smoke is fresh and good and I really want to do this, ANY input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Toke-ings
    Last edited by YankingYourChain; 05-13-2015, 06:08 PM.

Hi Yankin. Although most autos are small, some do stretch a bit more than that. Of course, you can always use some low stress training to keep the height down. You should never top or prune autos, but some LST won't hurt. If it were me I would count on having at least 3 feet beneath the light (preferably more, you can always lower the light but you can't raise the roof). That should be enough for your needs.
    As for the hiding thing, well, you know her best so know what you can get away with. There have been conversations on here before about 'hiding in plain sight'. Does she ever look in the other cupboards and closets in your garage? Lots of guys have closets in their garage for tools etc.. Why would she look in them?
    Light leakages can be a give away problem. Seals around the door and hinges are easy to fix with tape or strips of wood. Light around the fan inlet/outlet however can be harder to disguise. If there is ducting taking the air to the outdoors then that should hide the light. If the cabinet vents straight into the room than make the vents at the back. If your DIY skills don't stretch to building a light trap you can buy darkroom louvers - they may help you.
    Last thing. If you miss a watering by a few hours, or an evening, then no harm is done. During veg a little bit of drought is actually good for the plants, making them grow strong roots to stretch down in search of water. Towards the end of flowering you may end up needing to water your plants every day. But if you miss one watering you can get them the next time without causing too much harm.
    All the best mate.

Comment

Thanks so much Schmokin! No, she doesn't go through the stuff in the garage atm, but I'm turning that garage into my room, so there might come a day in those 8 plus weeks that she could open a door or attempt to and see that it's locked and be curious, I'm still looking at my options at the moment but I can tell you right now that within the next 6 months you guys will have a diary of my grow on here
      I'm currently looking at moving in to a different house or moving to the garage and I'm not properly going to find out for another 6 months, so I'm not going to start until then, but I am really wanting to be able to supply myself! So when I do, you guys will be seeing some nice white widow and ak47 autos on here :P

Comment

Fan noise will be hard to hide. You could get a used locking office supply cabinet or equivalent and a two-foot four-bulb fluorescent light, and a small filter fan, with the exhaust out the back. The charcoal filters do a good job with the smell. Don't forget to study up, and listen to what the plant tells you. You'll wind up with various fertilizers, pH test kit, jugs of water, etc. that you'll need to stash too. Honesty is good with chicks. It's like they're constantly on the lookout for reasons to hate you ...

Comment

Fan noise can be hidden by hanging the fan rather than attaching it to any hard surfaces that it can vibrate on. Same thing with pumps if you decide to go down the hydro route.
          Have also found that those big thick rubber dog chews make great sound insulators if you use them to mount the fans on.

Comment

Working...
          X