X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time grower seeking guidance.

Good morning everyone,

Here's a bit about my setup:

I am using a hydro set up. It is the Supercloset Superbox stealth grow box. The following is the set-up that i got with this system.

200 Watt Feliz 2700k CFL and a 65w 2700k CFL. (I will replacing the 65w w/ a 65w 6500k CFL soon to get a cool light to assist w/ veg phase).
    8 Plant SuperPonics System
    Technaflora Recipe for Success Nutrient Kit
    Industrial Grade Carbon Filter
    General Hydroponics pH Control Kit
    Eco Air 2 Air Pump
    132 Gallon Per Hour Water Pump
    Adjustable Internal Circulation Fan
    TDS Meter
    pH Meter
    Hydroton Clay Grow Rocks

I have read a lot, including plenty of "1st grow" journals in order to try to figure out what to do and what to avoid. Hopefully I am on the right track.

I started growing 3 photo-flowering Bubblegum. Only 1 has survived at this point. One of them fell flat and died quickly. the 2nd one had the stem bend just below the leaves and is currently dying, but I will continue to feed it until it's brown in hopes it might come back. Probably will not though. The final healthy plant seems to be doing ok so far.

See the attached pic for the 2 remaining plants. They are random seeds, so hopefully the last one is female or this grow thread will be pretty short.

I germinated the seeds using rockwool inside one of those small plastic germination domes you get for $15 at walmart. There was a heating pad under the tray to keep things around 75-80 degrees. I replaced the clear plastic lid with a solid piece of plastic in order to keep as much light away from the seedlings as possible until they sprouted and I started giving them light with the 2 CFLs listed above after 3 days or so.

I am almost 2 weeks the the veg phase and so far so good, for the 1 plant.

Here's the stats inside my grow box as of today:
    Temp = 75f
    Humidity=43% (trying to raise this currently)
    Water temp=69f
    PPM=325 - 350
    pH=fluctuates between 5.5 and 6.1, but I try to keep it around 5.8

Question 1: I have my girls currently rooting in rockwool surrounded by hydroton clay balls inside the netpot, but I do not see any roots protruding out of the rockwool cube yet. Up until today, I have been watering twice a day (morning and evening) using a drip directly into the rockwool cube for about 10-15 minutes until the cube is saturated. Just today I upped the schedule to 15 minutes every 3 hours. Is this too much water? There is also bubbleponics below the net pots, so the rockwool may be getting moist at the bottom from that, but it should not be much. I would hate to over water my last seedling...

Question 2: Is 350ppm too much for the plants at this time? The 1 healthy plant seems to be nice and green so far, but the leaves appear to be slightly droopy, which I have read can be caused by over feeding or over watering. I am also using a foliar spray, also included in the Superbox kit.

Thanks for any input!

IMAG0296.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 420_Noob; 03-12-2015, 02:42 PM.

At that stage in rockwool, I only feed once a day maybe, and leave some on the tray, but I generally am working with clones... Right now, the clones in my germination box that are in rockwool, only get water directly to the rockwool, ohh, every 2 or 3 days? The reason for this, if you give them too much water early on, they do not tend to NEED to grow roots. Same thing applies when I move to the larger rockwool blocks, you wait until the roots are sticking out the bottom of the starter cube, at least 1/4 inch, then, put them into the hole in the larger block, pre soaked. Then let it sit for a few days. Let those roots seek out the water! I do not hook the drip system up for at least a few days, depends on the size of the 'transplant' and how many roots there were. Or in a few cases, I have taken plants that were in pint size starter cups, hollowed out a larger hole in a 6 inch rockwool block to accommodate that much soil, and transplanted THAT into the block as a whole... That size plant can handle the amount of nutrients you are going to be able to deliver with rockwool...

That's probably the problem you are getting with slow root development and wilting/falling over, too much water. I never have a drip system hooked up to a starter block!

Comment

Thanks for the info Coconut. I will cut way back on the water schedule.

Comment

Since I was just doing this today, transplanting the clones from the germination box, I took the following pictures...

First up, the nutrient soak for 4 6 inch rockwool cubes, roughly 5 gallons of water that has been PH's and sterilized/filtered, mixed to with quarter strength Flora Series nutrients:

IMG00432.jpg

I let those drain back to the bucket and when they stop dripping, I place them in the flood tray:

IMG00434.jpg

I mixed up about 5 gallons and there was about one gallon left that goes out to my vegetables. Then I take the clones, which are just sitting in a tuperware inside the germination box:

IMG00427.jpg

Remove the plastic wrap and push them gently into the 6 inch cubes The four on the top of this picture are in small cubes, but still no drip system, not for 3 to 7 days. For the first week, I may top water, but only around the edges, not directly into the small starter cube... I generally use one of the unplugged drip lines as a small garden hose for that, just hit the edges of the larger cubes for the first few days to a week, let the roots seek out the water...
        IMG00439.jpg

Comment

That's great info Coconut. Thanks. I will definitely take this approach in the future.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I just got this 180w, full spectrum LED light. Do you think this is powerful enough for my grow box? It only has about 4 sq. ft of grow space.

The pic is from last night after I swapped out the CFL for the LED.

How far from the top of the plant should I hang the LED?

Thanks in advance.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FGFW0XO

Comment

Is the 180W actual draw or equivalent? I hear that Apollo make good lights. How many plants will you be putting under it?

Comment

Currently there is only the 1 plant until I clone it. At most, my grow box can only have room for 4, using a scrog.

Actual draw is 109w, I believe.

Comment

Hello again everyone,

I think I may have over watered my plant. Can anyone w/ experience take a look at this and verify or correct my assumption?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                  X