Deep Water Culture substrate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Water Culture substrate.

Has anyone used Grodan (rockwool) cubes in a Water Culture garden? I've been using clay balls but have always started clones in Grodan cubes and transplanted to clay. It would be simpler to plug one inch cubes into four inch blocks and sink blocks in reservoir, but I'm not sure rockwool allows enough air circulation for my garden choice. Thoughts, anecdotes, opinions appreciated.

Not sure if this will help but just read this. "Put some Hydroton at the bottom of your net pot. Insert your plant growing in a Grodan Gro-Block™ into the net pot. (3-4” size Gro-Blocks™ fit well into 6” net pots) Lay some more Hydroton on top". I think once the roots are growing outside the cube they will form a good root system once in the water.

Comment

Thanks...I'll give that a try with my next crop and post the results.

Comment

I've not long ago constructed my own DWC bucket. I used a brand new bucket (the one where you rinse the mop out in) placed my pump inside with tube attached to feed the plant. The plant is in a net pot filled with clay pebbles. I initially had it under the Cfl's (200watt) for 24/7, growth was steady but not very good. When I swapped the lighting for HPS, wow!!! The growth has now took off. From what was the smallest plant in veg room, is now the biggest. I've been growing hydroponically (NFT) for the last few years now, this my first time with DWC, and I must say, I'm super impressed. The speed of growth is fantastic.

Comment

I was thinking of putting the deep water culture system i made outside and see how it went. Might try it next year.

Comment

I've never seen weed grow so quickly. Go on do it. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I mean to put the deep water culture system outside not saying i made it outside lol

Comment

• thegreengrower
                thegreengrower commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I know what you meant.

This is my homemade DWC bucket. And I must say I'm amazed at how fast it has grown. I've thinned out the plant loads,has it was a lot bushier. Been topped, and also did some suppercropping the other night. I've just put her into flower mode, as she will probably stretch quite a bit, with it having a big sativa influence. I'll be cropping some of her sisters in few weeks, they're 5 weeks in with another 5 to go. And the bud on them is awesome. Long thick spear shaped bud. But I really wanna see how this one performs in my DWC. I'm expecting great things.!!! :-)

Comment

Ive been using DWC in side but am about to finish my greenhouse. I was thinking of switching to a drip irrigation system. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Comment

I've also just started my first grow in general and as DWC setup. I've got one each of Industrial, Diesel and Medical in 5x5x6.7 tent. Vegged first 3 weeks with t5- 2 red, 2 blue- 3200k each I think. Just switched to nextlight Mega led. Wow what a light! Now that I've got a good water replacement system in place they aren't stressed as much. Tent fluctuates from 70 to 80 through 24 hrs and water temp between 68 and 75 (high I guess) the shorter 2 are actually 1week younger. A bit finicky but it's not a bad learning curve
                  Last edited by Damo; 07-28-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Well they are looking pretty good for starters Damo. Your fluctuations aren't too great. Everything seems just fine.

Comment

Thanks! A few more ventilation tweaks and the tent temp only changes a few degrees now. I've been putting a frozen water bottle in my res bucket and that seems to be keeping the water a pretty steady 71 deg. I pulled most of the water leaves off of the industrial as it started to Autoflower and I hadn't realized it. Think stress from that will mess up the bloom?

Comment

Working...
                      X