Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does too much nitrogen lower THC levels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does too much nitrogen lower THC levels?

Hi guys, I read somewhere that too much nitrogen can actually lower THC levels.
    Has anybody got any information about this, or links to reliable studies?

Hey Roofie, most of us cut out the nitrogen levels and go with flowering neuts about this time of year for outside stuff and when you flip on inside stuff. There comes a time whereas you want bud not growth - hope that helps a bit - -slo

Comment

There are studies showing that limited nitrogen availability tends to increase terpenoid (Cannabinoids are terpenoids) production in some plants, and there is at least one I saw that showed an increase in phenolic compounds, but not terpenoids. Of course none of these studies are directly about Cannabis, though. Google scholar is my best friend when looking for things like this. In general, it is pretty inconclusive (as a whole) what role nitrogen plays in terpenoid production/storage.

There is a lot of information on Google Scholar. Just type in something like "Effect of Nitrogen on Terpenoid Production" and you will get more than enough to formulate your own opinions.

Here is a decent one to get you started:
      Effect of Soil Nutrient on Production and Diversity of Volatile Terpenoids from Plants

UPDATE:
      I found one that is actually specifically about Cannabis. It is specifically about the leaves, but you might be able to assume flowers as well? Then again, this study was carried out until the "end of flowering for staminate plants" (males), but the flowers were not tested. So does the THC move to the flowers? The more you learn the less you know...

Excerpt: "THC content of leaves of each plant part decreased in response to N fertilizer (Fig. 1b)" (I. Bocsa, P. Mathe, and L. Hangyel- year unknown)
      Link: Effect of Nitrogen on [THC] Content...
      Last edited by Anthony C; 09-06-2014, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Great sources Anthony. I'll be interested to read about this myself. Something I have never come across before.
        You hit the nail on the head when you say - The more you learn the less you know...
        For me, that is one of the most fascinating things about all aspects of cannabis. It's an enormous subject. I have been catching up on some of the cannabis V cancer debate. Very very interesting. One thing is for sure, it must be just about the most deeply studied plant in history.

Comment

Working...
        X