One bud at a time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bud at a time?

I was gonna grow a plant when the spring starts and I was wondering if I could take off and smoke a bud or two at a time and just let the plant live all year round instead of harvesting it all at once. If I can't what i's the best way to store it so that it will stay fresh the longest

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing

Comment

Nope

I'm afraid yer going to have to harvest the whole plant's worth at almost once.

Here's the skinny;

The harvest is done when the tricomes (the little res glands on yer buds) turn from clear to cloudy to tan or brown on a percentile basis.

Buds will mature top to bottom of plant at a somewhat different rate.
      Cloudy tricomes mean the THC is prime and tan tricomes mean the THC is changing to CBD. CBD gives you the "couch lock" effect, while cloudy gives you the heady, happy, giggly buzz.
      The time to harvest the bud will be when the tricomes are around 50-70% cloudy with about 20-30% of those tan. Waiting longer will only degrade the quality of your stash. Get yourself a 30x magnifier to see this change more clearly. It is one of your most important tools!

By paying close attention to your buds you may be able to harvest them top to bottom at a rate putting your quality at it's peak for the whole plant!

Storing is simple. After your bud has been dried, you need to cure it. Put your dried bud in quart mason jars and store with the top on and off for about 2 weeks at the rate of top on for everything but 2-3 hrs a day, twice a day for those 2 weeks.

Long term storage for cured bud is simple - vacuum pack in desired amounts and freeze it!

Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

• SheppsPot
        SheppsPot commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same question... Can I just harvest the buds and not the whole plant?
        I have taken a few clippings and have started new stocks that are leafing and even starting to bud, slowly but it's happening!

I literally found 4 seeds in a "Q" I purchased, and grew it with the help of this site.

It's been a slow process but I have one beautiful plant, "MJ"( yes I have named her) and my 2 little MJ's.

I do have another question; Will I find seeds in the buds or should they be in plain sight if there are any at all?

Much love
        SheppsPot

If I can't what i's the best way to store it..

Last edited by ladlasheikh; 04-01-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Most growers use mason jars for storage, once they have been cured and dried, seal them in a mason jar. Then open the jar once in a while to let it air out and not get damp or humid... Personally, never ran into a problem with long term storage after being properly cured and dried. I actually end up having to add a little moisture back in when I want to pull a jar out of storage.

Dr. Who laid out the clipping and reasons for harvesting the whole plant all together. They do actually ripen from the top down for the most part. I tend to take a sample from the bottom as it looks like the plant is ready, Give it a couple days to dry, by then, the rest of the plant is generally ready to harvest. I also sort them out by color, the top cola's being more dark and more couch lock, the bottom buds and internal fluff, goes into a bowl and ground up for daily use. Those top buds, get stored for later.

Remember, these are not like, say a pepper plant or a tomato, that will continue to flower and bud as long as the light and temps stay consistant. Cannabis plants will flower then die. You can drag out the veg stage, but you can not really drag out the flower stage. Once they go into flowering/budding stage, the clock starts ticking and you have only a set amount of time till the whole plant will die off naturally. You can hold them in Veg as long as you like, I have one right now that is almost a year old... but once they go into transition, there is no stopping them. And taking a bud off here and there, before they ripen and finish, is not going to give you any quality at all... The quality is really not there until the very end of the plants life...

Comment

They are not - unless they are smoking leaves - when it buds it's done. Be satisfied with that and what is said above - store in jars - it works -slo

Comment

Claythrow, you may be thinking of growers who harvest and then revert their plants. It is possible to leave the root system and lower leaves of a plant after harvesting and revert it to the veg phase. Normally this is done indoors by putting the plant back under 18/6 but can be done outdoors.
            Check out this video and the watch the update (in the sidebar)
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV7FY-4ZA8[

Comment

Working...
            X