New to the grow game - Need help designing layout for basement grow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the grow game - Need help designing layout for basement grow

Hey guys, I apologize ahead of time for the novel!
    I'm a first time grower with a rare opportunity. I've been mulling over the idea of turning my basement into a grow area, and become a caregiver for medicinal marijuana. I was talking with a few investors about what I had in mind (roughly), and they thought I was on to something. They told me to draw up plans for the layout (down to the nitty gritty including wiring, ventilation, humidity regulators, etc.. the whole shebang! Plus a list of exact items needed (including prices, and where I plan to purchase), and total cost to complete the project start to finish. I've already got 5 patients lined up, so I will need space for 72 plants (including 12 personal). I have an open floor plan in my unfinished basement with very few obstructions (stairs, furnace, water heater, etc). Its roughly 50L x 25w x 7.5h (to bottom of support beams) with an unfinished ceiling, so beams are exposed allowing additional space to run ventilation, wiring, whatever else necessary. All obstructions are on the same half of the basement, so there is a completely open 12x50 space, and a lightly obstructed space the same size on the other side. I plan to build separate rooms for each stage of growth for optimal climate control, plus work area(s). I've seen it done a lot of different ways in my day, and I'm struggling to make decisions. I'm doing my best to verse myself via books, videos, and endless googling, but not finding much on design/technique/cost efficient (quality comes first of course)/ and so on. Looking forward to this project, but its becoming a reality faster than I ever thought. I'm looking for any input regarding any part of the project, or all of it. calling all experienced growers! Soil vs hydro? Types of lighting for specific growth stages? cooling/heating? room sizes needed for each stage? Recommended/non recommended items? Favorite/least favorite strains? Tips/tricks? All the other stuff I haven't thought of?! I'm a bit overwhelmed if you can't tell... I've dabbled in half ass grow ops that my buddies have both indoors and out.. but very minimal participation. Basically I've started a few plants from seed to potted soil, and done plenty of trimming. I love the science of the entire process and can't wait to get started. Any advice/ideas will be appreciated. I've started drawing up the basic layout of the basement on a drafting program, so I will try to post that once its finished. Thank you soo much for taking the time to read this, and thank you ahead of time for any help you have to offer. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right!

Looking forward to hearing back!
    Cheers!

Don't forget a room for drying and curing - slo

Comment

Welcome MrWhite!

What a great opportunity for you. Lots of area to get a big grow underway. You have asked for a butt~load of info, on how to do this. We have several sections here available to you to read about all things related to your project, you just need to click around our site and review what others have experienced to get those ideas answered.

For a new grower to be successful, you'll need to grow a few plants to get your feet wet first, get some experience from sprout to harvest a few times, then go for the big one, in my opinion.

Lots of situations pop~up just with one or two plants, and growing a few to get your experience started would be best, that way you will know what to do when problems arise with many plants growing all at once.

Not that were trying to avoid answering your idea's and questions, but you'll need to do your own research first. Try reading thru the many sections here to get a better idea of what your up against, first. Check out utube too, there are many ideas there also.

We can get involved with your questions after you get underway, but you'll need to research for yourself, like most all growers do, before you try to grow for your people, that way they will have faith that you really know what your doing and support your efforts 100%. Best of Luck to you.

Comment

I recently tried to dive in head first and found that there a lot things you need to be aware of and things you just can't prepare for. A couple things that stand out are: be aware of your surroundings (neighborhood, neighbors, etc.) Even though this is seems like a no brainer, you never know who might notice that lovely smell. With that said, make sure you're able find a filter big enough to contain the smell. Again, this was my first attempt but still an important thing to be aware of.

Comment

Hi Mr White and welcome. You may get more response if you break your questions down a bit, that's quite a lot of information you're asking for.
          On the subject of soil V hydro... Think about your customers needs here too. Hydro will get you higher yields, but many MMJ patients like to use weed because it is natural. An organic product can often be important to these people and you can only achieve that with a good understanding of soil. If quality of product is really important to you then you should consider this.
          Also, I would echo what Blazd said. Start out a grow with just a few plants. If you've never really grown before this will give you a good grounding in how it all works, what to look for, and what to do if anything goes wrong. Almost every grower loses a plant now and again. It's less painful to lose a couple than to lose a whole room full so it's maybe worth finding out if there are any unforeseen gaps in your knowledge on a small scale first.

Comment

Working...
          X