This is one heck of a tough hobby..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is one heck of a tough hobby..

I'm already on to my third batch of plants, as the first two yielded nothing or died. Oddly, I grow vegetables like a champ and rarely have problems, so this is quite frustrating. With so many variables for just about everything (lighting, growing medium, methods, etc), it's overwhelming. I sure wish seeds were cheaper (or I had someone who could come in and set me up )

My grow medium is a blend of peat moss based planters mix and excellent compost. I start the seeds in 4 inch containers, then transfer them to big planter containers. I'm using 450 watt LEDs supplemented with regular old flourescent growlights. Room is fully ventilated and covered in silver mylar. Temp is a cool 65.

The last batch made it through the veg phase, but then when I switched to fruit phase, (using 12/12 light and low nitrogen, medium phosphorus and potassium fertilizer), some died, while the others put on just the tiniest bit of bud, then started shedding leaves. I also have a bit of a spider mite issue which I'm quite confident is coming from my compost.

Anyway, that's where I am. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Hard to work out what could be wrong Larry. If you grow your own veg then weed should be nothing for you to grow.
      One of the most common problems that new growers encounter is over feeding and over watering. Weed really likes to dry our between watering and can thrive without too much strong ferts all over it. How did you go about watering and feeding?

Comment

LarrySahr

I had problems back a few winters with my plants with that temp near 65f, warmed them up to 80f and they took off growing real good. Apparently it was to cold for them. Best of Luck to ya.

Comment

Larry I'm very new at this too. But I can grow veggies too, hell one year I had 115 heirloom tomato plants done organically, all from previous crops seeds (heirlooms are not sterile like hybrid). And end up with one hell of a harvest load in the end. Everyone loved me till they were all gone.

I would look at things that are mention already but dude 65 degrees that's really chilly for a young in.

I would and will start mine with a sterile mix so I know exactly what is going into them. Your compost could it be too hot? (not temp wise, but on the mix side)

Maybe ease them into the lights over a few days to acclimate them.

Like others side need more info on your situation so we can grasp at the right straws.

Good luck!!

Comment

Spider mites will kill your plant dead get rid of that and raise that temp and you may just see a difference. Buy some Neems oil and as stated above "sterile medium". The spider mite thing is a tough one but they will suck your plant of life. Clean your room real good(I spray the whole thing w/Neems as well). When you have a plant that is a foot tall spray it - it wont hurt it - this way you can stay ahead of them just in case. Their are many home made remedies but I have found that all the remedies I have on the shelf stay on the shelf except Neems. My 2 cents - -slo-han

Comment

Working...
            X