Cold nights - what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold nights - what to do?

I have half my girls in the ground and half in buckets. We have had a couple nights down in the thirty's - like 35. My buds are maybe half way if even that. I don't see much crystal on the leaves on some. Am I SOL or could I cover them? Our weather has been quite different of late - not much rain but the clear skies bring the temps down. Got any remedies for this old goat? - slo-han

One thing I noticed after my grows in buckets, pouring the used soil out of the buckets, was that the roots had not traveled to far outward, but more downward and had started growing around the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets. Maybe that's because most were from seed, not clones.

Meaning it could be possible to transplant them from the ground into big containers, if you dug deep enough to retrieve them safely. I have heard from another grower that trimming the roots on his mother plants does revive them after he had kept them as mother plants for a long period of time. If you were very careful transplanting to containers, you might have a chance saving the ones planted in the ground.

If your outdoor temps get too low, you might have to finish~up indoors just to save them, or at least transplant the ones in the ground and bring them all in for the night.

The only other solution I can think of, that might keep them from freezing at night would be to cover them in visquene (heavy duty plactic sheeting), and run a power cord out to them with a space heater in there too. Carefully stake near the middle, somewhere so to hold the plastic off the plants.

Sorry to hear your weather has chilled your outdoor grow, If it were me, I'd carefully transplant them to big containers and bring them all in for the night. Good Luck, Bro.

Comment

Hey blaze, I have these lil suckers spread all over and putting up "the stuff" would be a job for sure, but my fav three are in a group so........a lil tent would do good. The bucket brigade could be put inside - if I had an inside - will have to give that some thought, BUT, if inside how would you end the cycle? - I'm already @ 11 hours this time of year and going to 10 so????? Man things used to be easy and the weather was pretty steady, and then wtf - mass weather changes. I'm going green house next year. - slo

Comment

Either way looks like a bit of work. Covering and uncovering, or transplanting and tott"in~em in and out for chilly nights. Still, they should be good to go with the light their going to get outdoors till harvest time. If not you'll have to give them light somehow. Sounds like a pain in the ass either way.

Friend of mine is in the same boat, still a month to go on his and It's getting sorta chilly at night there too.

You'll be glad come harvest time though. Let us know how it's going too. Best of Luck.
        Last edited by Blaze4daze; 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I know exactly what you guy's are going threw. My plants are about 3/4 of the way done outside. It has been hot and humid here with temps in the low 90's. Today it is over cast with temps in the low 60's. Three times this week we had a little shower right at dusk. I I have cut out two small buds already with rot! Another has the begining of powdery mildew yikes! Next couple of days are suppose to be in the 70's during the day and 50's at night with more sunshine as the week progresses. I was wondering if anyone thinks that I will lose much potency for 3or 4 day's of chilly weather? It is suppose to be in low 80's by the end of the week and 60's at night. If someone else grows outside all the time please tell me what you think! It has been a long time since I grew outside! Appreciate any info. Mega Nute

Comment

I think I'm going to ride this one out - the temps were in the 40's - and the days are good, We are supposed to get some sprinkles Thursday so we will see. I will go get some plastic to cover in case of an earlier than normal freeze - well, if it was easy.................slo

Comment

Working...
            X