1st plant need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st plant need advice

hi, first time planter and I need some advice. for outside plants, whats the coolest temperature a plant can tolerate? generally, how tall is an average height for a plant to be considered ready, and in the event I need to bring plant inside, will a plant still grow in the window with natural light and last question if I cant get a grow light will a standard Greenlight fluorescent 100 watt work? would love to see this plant grow. Right now its about 10in high and a bud is quickly forming in the center.

@kiddoctane

You'll need to maintain the temp around 80 degrees f. at all times. As the fall season approaches, outdoor temps will drop and bringing your plant indoors is recommended. You would not want it to go into shock with too low of temps. and possibly die.

A good HID grow light should give you plenty of good lighting for the plant to finish~up indoors. A 400wt~600wt HID (High Intensity Discharge) would work well for good lighting indoors, as a window sill would work but your yield would be way low.

Many first time growers need to invest in good lighting if their grow extends into colder weather when they start growing outdoors. If you plan to keep growing that investment for good lighting is a must. Best to start your grow, earlier in the spring to get thru a grow outdoors without worrying about colder temps and having to supply the plants with good lighting.

Depending on how much finished buds your wanting, the longer you leave your plant in veg, the bigger it will get. You say your plant has already started showing signs of flowering at 10 inches tall, so figure about 2~3 feet tall before she finishes, depending on what strain your growing. Sativa's grow taller than Indica's. Do you know what strain you are growing??

Best of luck and if you need more info, just ask. Lots of great growers here to help.

Comment

Flourescent lites equal low yields. Have you considered a tent over the plant?(clear). Don't know where you live but around here the nights are cooling down. Next year you may want to think about starting your grow around April or may. This year - invest in some visquene to cover it and let nature take it's course. Good luck - this is not a cheap hobby - slo

Comment

Thanks for the great advice. I'll try to keep this one alive, but if not, seeing this plant come to life will give me incentive to try again in the spring. I'll snap a picture Blaze, I'm kind of interested in what strain it is.

Comment

Hi Kiddoctane
          Your plant will finish at the same time, regardless of when you planted it. It is the length of daylight hours that causes the plant to flower. That is why your small plant has gone straight into flower production, because the hours of daylight has already changed. If you get one started earlier in the year, it will finish at the same time, it will just have time to grow much bigger, and obviously give you more buds.
          Different strains have different flowering times. A picture of your plant will helps us try and work out what it might be and give a rough idea of how long it might take to finish. Early October is probably average, but there can be some wide variation in this.
          The type of strain you are growing also makes a difference to the temperatures that the plant can bear. Sativas have a sub-tropical heritage and require good warm temps. SOme of the indicas are high altitude plants and can take a bit of cold at night, although none of them can handle a frost.
          What time of year is the first hard frost where you live?

Comment

I've brought the plant inside because the nights are way too cold. Well, it's still alive. I've been keeping it watered and under a light for a good part of each day. I love the fact that if I touch the tip, gently, the scent is amazing. I will post a picture because maybe someone here can tell me what's happening. But in words There were leaves on the lower part that were getting brown around the edges so I snipped them off. But I noticed some were growing back in the same area. They looked a little more rounded and there were only three per stem. I'm wondering if this plant is dying or is this normal. Also the leaves of the plant start very high. Well even if this plant doesn't work out I would like to try one again in the spring.. earlier this time. Here's a picture..again, my first try.

Comment

Working...
            X