Very newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very newbie

Hello all, I live in Spain in the Murcia area, I bought some lemon haze seeds on line, they germinated very quickly and are now about 4 inches tall, here are my problems, apparently they have white fly and some of the leaves are turning yellow, some have told me to much water others not enough help please can someone put me on the right track how to get rid of the white fly and how much water do they need, by the way the sun is still quite hot here and the nights no less than around 23 Centigrade

Welcome renatomd

Sounds like your growing those Lemon Haze plants outdoors. If so, are they in containers, or right in the ground? One way to check to see if your over/under watering is to stick your finger into their soil, next to the plant about an inch, if wet to the touch still, then check them the next day the same way till your finger is dry, then water.

White fly's are a pain and can be brought under control with a "safe to consume" pest spray, like for fruits and vegetables. Your in Spain so not sure what you have available at your local garden supply store. Be very careful what you spray on your plants and might be good to "read the labels real carefully" so you don't harm your lungs while consuming your finished plants.

Let us know how things are going and if you need more help. The more info you give us the better. Photos help a lot too. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks Blaze4Daze, yes they are being grown outside in pots. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them up so you can see.

Comment

This is the state of one plant this evening

Comment

• dc420
          dc420 commented
          Editing a comment
          since they are green and dieing from the outer parts of the leaf first it tells me the soil is too hot or you are using way too much nutes. Start at 1/8th the recommended does and build up. poor babies are nute burning. or the roots are having an issue(too dry/bugs/ poor air exchange)

Hey,

First of all, that soil is definitely NOT too wet. I don't know if you did anything to it or what, but it actually looks too dry.

Second, what all have you done with the plant besides water? Have you fertilized it any? And how much light is she getting outside? Full sun? Morning sun?

Comment

No fertilizer yet, it has been sprayed with a mild solution given to us at a grow shop for white fly although I do not know what it is called for sure but I think he said it was neem extract. As for light they are on the sun terrace so they are getting pretty much full sun about 8 to 9 hours. Should I trim the yellow/brown leaves off?

Comment

renatomd

uh~oh! Full all~day sun you say, well their probably thirsty. You'll need to check that daily too, Grower friend of mine waters daily with his outdoor plants and he gets 5~6 hours of direct sunlight. Even in the shade with the temps in the 90's f. their soil will dry~out quickly, so your little ones will need to be checked every day too, for too dry of conditions in those small size contains. Full day sunlight is the best lighting you can get, but you could put them in a shady area for a few of those hours, till they get another 7~10 days older and get to growing a~bit healthier and stronger, I would.

How old are your seedlings? Looks to be 2~3 weeks and (ready) for (lite) amount of veg nutrients mixed in water. Do you have veg nutrients?

Yes, trim all the deadwood, everything that's dryed~out and brown, just trim off that part from the leafs, not the whole leaf. Leave the green part of the bad leafs, so that remaining part can still get sun, for now. After a few weeks you'll want to trim all that lower growth off anyways, after they get growing healthy again.

Only pest spray after the sun has set, or before it comes up a good hour, as to not fry them under the sun with that moisture from the spray still on the leafs. (Let us know asap how old they are and if you have your nutrients bought and ready to use, ok?) then we can go from there.

With the right steps, you can (easily) save these seedlings. Glad you were able to get these photos up, shows you really care about your babies.

Comment

Yes they are about 3 weeks old and the other half is taking a trip to the grow shop so we will have nutrients tomorrow/later today now. I will trim the leaves and give them a couple of hours shade when the sun is at its strongest. its still hitting about 32 to 34 centigrade here in the day and around 25 at night

Comment

That's perfect there renatomd

If the other half hasn't already got your nutrients then you could ask for Fox Farms nutrient trio, a great three part (bottle) line~up for both stages of growth, vegetative and flowering. If not available there then ask for a good (veg) nutrient with the NPK (Nitrogen, phosphors and potassium) at or around 6~4~4 for veg. Flowering nutrient at or around 2~8~4. You will need both to finish growing these plants.

32~34c is pretty warm and putting them in the shade for a few hours while their still this young is a good idea for another week to 10 days or so. Looks like their in starter pots and when they get about 5~6 weeks you'll want to transplant to bigger containers, like 5 gallon buckets would be perfect. I use them and just drill holes in the bottoms for good drainage. About 10~12 1/2 inch holes spaced evenly around the bottom should do it, that way you'll get about 20% drain~off from the watering/feeding that you just gave them, (20% Recommended amount of drain~off).

Since this is your first grow Ph'ing your water is still important, most nutrients do this for you, so if you can get a Ph meter to check your Ph right after you add your nutrients and you'll want to aim for a Ph of 5.9~6.0. for best results. Ph meters are about $20. Draw your water in a 5 gallon bucket and let your water sit for 3 days to let the alkaline disapate completly then take a gallon from that, to feed/water.

Start out real lite on nutrients, just add 1 tps. of nutrients to that 1 gallon of water to start, then slowly work up to 2 tsp. per gallon. Use the whole gallon on all 3 seedlings, you'll have plenty of drain~off but you'll be giving them a good amount and this is normal, since they'll be in the heat all day.

Feed nutrients, then when their soil dry's~out, then water only for their next watering, then nutrients again (feeding), then water only (watering) and so on, Rotate nutrients/water only, then water only, then nutrients again, then water only and so on. Thus the meaning of feeding/watering, understand?

If for some reason, a few hours after you have fed them, you notice the leaf tips turning brown that means you overfed them, Flush right away with at least a gallom of water only to clear out nutrients and use a tad less the next feeding, ok?

This should get you back on track with them on the road to recovery, get this right and they'll start growing like crazy. Your going to be real happy you went thru all this, come harvest time. Let us know if you have any more questions, Best of Luck.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice, I will give them another week or so and post a few more photos but they are already looking better.

Comment

Hey renatomd. Welcome to the forum.
                    If you're having trouble with drying out in your arid climate you might want to try some bigger pots so that they hold a bit more water. Not now though, wait until your plants have got back on their feet.
                    Have you got trays underneath the pots to hold the run off?
                    B4D's advice on watering is good. Stick your finger into the soil. If it sticks to your finger, leave it. If it is dry, it wants watered.
                    Your plants are definitely savable. Good luck mate.

Comment

Some weeks on now but they are definitely looking better, they were all staggered in time when planting. The weather has changed somewhat the days are still mostly sunny and warm but the nights are getting a little fresh so they come indoors at night.

Comment

• dc420
                        dc420 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        very nice. they are happy now. some great advise from the guys here.

Yes and very much appreciated, thanks guys

Comment

Hi all, well we have harvested the early ones and sooo pleased with the results but can you look at this one, this was a free seed, no idea of the strain, the colour of the leaves have gone very dark as you can see and the buds are still quite small I think, although they have resin on them, does this look ok? any idea of the strain?
                        TIA

Comment

Wow! She does have dark leafs, nice. No idea of the strain your growing there. Might ask them, where you got that free seed from.

Comment

• renatomd
                            renatomd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Be honest I don't think they would know, I bought 10 lemon skunk and they gave me 5 lucky dip mix free . It looks so beautiful it will be almost a shame to harvest it
                        Working...
                        X