outside soil conditioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outside soil conditioning

My neighbor moved to a new home. All around him are abandoned homes. I started a couple of regular plants in the area but the soil was much thinner than I expected. I did find a spot there that had a heavy mixture of gravel with the soil. Will this be conducive to growth? If not, What should I do?

Some gravel is OK and may even help with drainage. Try digging in some well rotted organic compost. Buy some if you don't have any in the garden. Some manure would be useful too, but remember it must be well rotted down, not raw shit! If it's too fresh it will burn the plants.
    CAn you get hold of a pH tester? You should be able to get one cheap. It's always worth checking to see what the pH is. It makes a huge difference to how your plants will grow.
    When you ball the soil up in your hands, does it stay solid and compact or does it crumble back into dirt real easily?

Comment

Yes, I have one. I didn't think of that. I use it all the time for my DWC. Thanks for your help

Comment

Hi Mbrozack
        I just put this thread in the outdoor section where it makes more sense.
        Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X