Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feminized northern lights outdoor grow (first time)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're looking really good there my friend.. But you should have got the larger pots. The pots you have them in now are still too small. They will however grow ok in them pots, but,seriously you need to repot again. If the height of the plants are an issue for you then you will need to do some topping. Not only will you control the height of the plants you will create more growing tips therefore giving you more bud. But nevertheless you have got some good looking plants there and they've come on so much in such a short time. Nice work.

Comment

Portuguesegrow

Greengrower has the best advise for your situation, I also advise to transplant them again into bigger containers as a petite Northern Light plant can average 4 to 5 feet tall.

You could top them, let the new tops fully develop and top them again, that would spread the growth out and limit upward growth a~bit, keeping them to shorter plants and help keep them undetected from neighbors below.

You can get new 5 gallon buckets at a hardware store and drill out your drain holes, they make the best containers for growing, if you ask me. Glad your moving right along, your plants look real nice. Good job.

Comment

Hello again!

Just thought I would post an update on my girls and some pictures of them.
        They have been growing very happily, and since about 2 weeks ago they started flowering. I'm predicting about 2 more weeks maybe a bit less to harvest.

I cut some big fan leaves off the bigger girl (I named her Jupiter) to test defoliating against the smaller plant (named Miss Busty) which I left alone, to see if this technique is beneficial or not. I read on the Internet about defoliating marijuana plants and found it's a controversial topic in the marijuana growing community so this way I will have my own opinion and experience!

I haven't given them any nutes, only topped them up with fresh soil (nutrient based) twice since they were transplanted.

I'm off to Amsterdam tomorrow and staying there for five days. I'm expecting to see my girls nice and grown up when I come back!

P.s I've got someone to take care of them while I'm gone.

Peace!!

Comment

Defoliating the leaves is all down to experience.. A lot of first time growers try this practice, thinking it'll do them good.. Those big fan leaves that the plant has put a lot of energy into producing,, they are the factory of the plants, where all sugars, carbohydrates, etc are stored and fed to the plant by the plant. Removing them unnecessarily does NOT benefit the plant. Of course there are times when you can remove them,, ie, late into flowering period. But NEVER remove during veg stage. I know your in flower so it's done now. When you do remove them, remove the stalk as well. I can see you've just cut the leaf off and left the stem. This can attract pest and disease where you cut the leaf off. I also think you've got more than the 2 weeks to go,, do you know exactly how long they've been in flower for,, and how long the flowering period is for your 2 strains.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice on changing them to bigger pots. I went to the hardware store yesterday and bought one 13 liter (3.4 gallon) pot for the bigger girl, Jupiter. I transplanted her yesterday and it all went well. I had to buy another type of soil to add to the pot because the shop ran out of Compo Sana, the soil I've been using.

So I mixed a leftover of Compo Sana soil I had at home with the new soil which is said to be a "vegetable substrate" ( I'm translating from Portuguese not sure if its correct in English) from manufacturer "Siro Plant". This soil has 5.5-6.5 PH, high in potassium (300-500mg/l) and has equal amounts of Phosphorous and Nitrogen (150-250mg/l). The people at the shop said it would work fine (I think they were on to me with what I was actually doing, but they were cool).

Do you think the soil is decent? Is the potassium going to help with a greater yield?

thegreengrower - I have a post stating I started to see white hairs from the 4th node up on the 15th of May, so if thats when flowering starts, then its been 5 weeks into flowering as of today. On the Nirvana Shop website, the NL feminized auto-flowering strain flowering period is said to take 7-9 weeks. Based on this, I agree with you thegreengrower, probably a bit longer than 2 weeks left.

Blaze4daze - Regarding Jupiter, the bigger girl, do you think its time to chop off that top head? I may wait a couple more days before chopping the top off but I'm not sure. I will do some research into cutting nugs separately/topping but I'm guessing its not rocket science, right?

Here are some pics, I will keep you all updated in the future!

Peace

p.s. so far I haven't added any nutes or fertilizers to either of the girls, only topped them with nutrient rich soil (Compo Sana) about 2 times.

Comment

Working...
            X