Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feminized northern lights outdoor grow (first time)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feminized northern lights outdoor grow (first time)

This is my first grow, thought I would document it here to show people my progress and give some insight on first time grows. any problems i come across i will post here and hopefully get some useful tips from you helpful dudes.

I planted my feminized northern lights seeds on sunday the13th of april. they're on my varanda, 4 of them in plastic cups with compo sana universal soil and the other in a rectangular pot with old soil just to see what happens. i water them when the soil is mostly dry or just by looking at the seedling and making a judgement. I let the water air out for a day or so before watering, something about leveling the pH? tap water where i live is said to be between 6-9ph.
    They're looking good so far, might fill the cups up with some more soil as the stem looks a bit too high and could become unstable and snap.
    my spot gets 5-7 hours sunlight a day, the past two days have been a bit cloudy but I've read that feminized seeds are strong and grow pretty much anywhere so i'm feeling quite confident.

Not sure when and how i'm going to transplant them to a bigger pot but will find out soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by portuguesegrow; 05-19-2014, 03:32 PM.

Looking very nice Portugee! I'm waiting for my Dutch Passion Purple seeds to arrive from Herbies, w/ the bonus freebie Strawberry Blue? and Hawaiian Skunk seeds. I'll be growing from large pots among my tomatoes in Alexandria, Virginia. Did you germinate in the dirt outdoors? I believe the soil temp might still be too low here. Tomatoe seedlings wont go in the ground till May 1st or so. My real question is about timing. If the seeds go in the ground May 1st, will the plant not bud till October?

Comment

Looking good Portugese. Is there any air movement around them? A light breeze will help strengthen those stems up nicely.

Darkpsyde - Your plants will go into flower according to the length of the days, regardless of when you planted them. The earlier you plant them, the more vegetative growth you will get, but they will finish the same time regardless. You can read up on the strains but should know that the seedbanks are sometimes a bit optimistic about flowering times and actual times can take a bit longer.
      Dutch Passion Purple should be ready late Sept/Early Oct
      Hawaiian Skunk will take a little longer, probably later in October. When's the first frost in your area?
      Strawberry Blue will probably be somewhere in the middle. I'm really interested in the Strawberry Blue so it would be nice if you could keep us all up to date with how that turns out for you.

Comment

• Mega nute
        Mega nute commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Schmokin, am having trouble navigating the site? I was in hospital when they launched this new look and still can't figure how to answer and look at what others have said? I don't see a chat room so I guess that's gone! Just stumbled across comment and saw that I could leave message here. Since I can't figure out how to PM anybody, I will await and answer from their notes I guess? This new way seems cold and distant, maybe just me. Later mega nute

Hi guys, thanks for taking an interest in my post!

Darkpsyde - I germinated then using the good old method of placing the seeds onto of a damp paper towel, between two plates. Left it in a warm & dark place for 2 days and all 5 sprouted. This way worked just fine for me. Just check a few times a day if the paper towel isn't getting dry and patience will get you there.

Schmokin - thanks very much! Yes they do get the occasional breeze as they sit on my balcony all day. They are looking quite big now, I will post some photos here tomorrow for you guys to see. So excited about this!

much love

Comment

Hey guys so its been nearly 3 weeks (on Sunday) since I planted my babies. Here's how they're going so far:

To me they're looking pretty good. I transplanted the one into the bigger round pot this afternoon but i think I didn't put it deep enough, the distance between the soil and the first node seems way to high, but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts? Should I top it up with more soil?

Another thing about the girl in the round pot is that the middle part of the leaves (pic below) seems a little yellowy to me. Some potassium needed maybe? I've got this fertilizer bottle thats been around for I don't know how long, in the sun outside, its NPK levels are 6-2-6 and has some iron and zinc in there too. Would this fertilizer composition be beneficial to my plants do you think?

The other two plants that are in the plastic bottle are going to be donated to a friend, don't want to risk having 5 in my balcony, seems a bit much. Hopefully the smell won't be intense.

Remember I will be keeping this updated every week or so. happy smokes!

Much love.

Comment

@Portuguesegrower. Your babies look fine my friend.. Your just being an over indulgent new father haha. You don't need to add any more soil, they're planted just fine. And as for the yellowing!!!! Well not to worry that's just the new growth coming through, ( that's wot it looks like in the photo anyway) . About the bottle of nutes you've got, you say you don't know old it is??! Then chuck it, and buy a grow nute, and a bloom nute, they're cheap enough to buy from any hydro store, or garden centre. Other than that just leave your plants to do their thing. They've got a long way to go yet, so just enjoy the growing experience. There's plenty of good people here who are more than willing to help you out..

Comment

• froggy
            froggy commented
            Editing a comment
            don't feel bad about being over indulgent. ;o) my lights in my bloom room go on at 9:48 am... I am standing outside the door waiting... to say good morning to my girls..

Thanks for the input, thegreengrower. You're right, I am being a little over preoccupied but i guess thats normal since its my first time doing this still a long way to go indeed...

Comment

Haha! Like a new father....
            Your babies are fine. They don't really need any food for the first couple of weeks, there's plenty locked up in the soil to keep them going.
            Keep up the good work.

Comment

Mega Nute, aye I have been having trouble too. It's making sense now though. It's like when they change facebook and we all moan like crazy and then a month later we can't even remember how it used to be. Think it will just take a bit of getting used to.
              One thing I noticed was that there was a problem with links and pics etc. If you toggle the big A icon you get the advanced editor, which was the default in the old version. Hope that helps a bit....

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post an update on my girls. It's been just over a month since I started, and they are looking pretty good i think! No fertilizers have been used yet, should I start using some now? I can already see the white hairs from the 4th node up.

I know my pots are a bit small, considering the size, could someone give me a vague estimate of how much I'm going to yield? I'm thinking around 10 g each but that's just a wild guess.

I had a third plant but unfortunately my cat sat on top of it because the soil was nice and warm, and killed it.
                The other two I gave away and later on in the process I will report on them too.

Here are some pictures taken with my iphone, pretty crap quality sorry about that. I will get my DSLR out next time.

Happy smokes!

Comment

Impossible to tell yield at this stage. You could add ferts now if you like. I don't think it will hurt them to leave them for a bit, but if you want to pump up the eventual yield a bit then give them a feed.
                  Your white hairs at the 4th node are likely to be preflowers. It can be hard to sex a plant correctly with preflowers. You have a way to go before you get full flowers. The days are still getting longer and your babies shouldn't start flowering properly until later in the summer. They will be much bigger by then. With all that Portugese sun you might get more bud if you get them in bigger pots.
                  Doing real well my friend.

Comment

Yep I agree with saturnalia,, you defo need to pot up. Get them into their final larger pots asap, especially the plant in the rectangular trough. The roots are the most important part of the plant as far as I am concerned. So the bigger the root ball, the bigger the yield. I would quite happily say that you will get more than your predicted 10g per plant. But how much????? Well that depends on lots of different things. But, get them plants into there final resting place and let them do their thing...

Comment

Hi guys, really appreciate your words of advice. I think I'm going to go ahead and change them to bigger pots. Hopefully I won't damage the plant by doing this.
                      I'm heading out to the shop this afternoon and buying some pots and more soil and some ferts.. Will post an update once they're in their new home!

Peace!

Comment

• froggy
                        froggy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I started my seeds in little peat pots... then transplanted them in the bigger "cardboard" cups. then finally into (folgers coffee containers) as there final resting place. each one of them pots are biodegradable so I never have to actually take them out of there original containers

Portugesegrow

Saturnalia and Greengrower have hit the nail on the head, your plants need much more room to grow, why grow if your not using a bigger container. The roots like Greengrower has explained need more room. Glad to hear your re~potting, (transplanting into bigger containers).

Here's a photo of the root growth from a 5 gallon bucket, I took from one one my plants. You can see why they could use all the room they can get to grow and give you lots of buds. Good luck, you got a good start going.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Froggy - planting the girls into bio-degradable pots sounds like a really smart thing to do. When I transplanted mine both times I was a little concerned they may get damaged while doing so. Just have to handle them with care and be gentle. I will try this method of using peat pots next time I grow.

Blaze4days - I went to the shop today and bought 5 L (1.3 gallon) pots and some more soil (Compo Sana). I was going to opt for the 8.9 L ones but I was worried this way they would get too tall and grab the attention of my neighbors. I have neighbors on either side of my house and two in front. My babes are on a balcony on the 1st floor with about a 60cm tall wall standing in front of the them.

What do you guys think the height of them will be in their new pots?

I transplanted them today and they seem to be enjoying their new home. Here are some pics!

Peace
                        Last edited by portuguesegrow; 05-19-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X