new grower in florida!! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new grower in florida!! :)

In the plant city area, started my growing Process about a week ago and I accidently put my seeds in root side up but they seem to be doing alright. I put them outside for the first time yesterday for about 6 hours then it got cold and I brought them back in and put them in my closet again... and today the sun is bright but its super cold (for me anyway) so might it be tol cold for them aswell?? Suggestions are very welcome
    Attached Files

Hey there. I'm originally from Brandon, and used to grow there every year. You should wait until after february. One of the better clues I used is I would actually go to plant city, and see when they planted strawberries in the spring. (It's a very brief period when the weather is cool, but not cold, and you get about 14 hours of sunlight a day) This is because strawberries are very sensitive to the cold, so if you see the migrant workers planting, that is a good sign that you should be clear of any last frosts, which will kill your girls.

Remember the old saying "Florida has two seasons, summer, and february."

Not sure if you've heard it, buy my dad used to say it all the time.

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...t-date-map.php

That says a little bit different. You are probably going to want to keep them in your place for another 3 weeks at least though to be safe.
    Last edited by Mannfreid; 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tani
      Your babies look OK at the moment. They must be loving that sunlight. You're doing just fine, use your intuition, if it feels too cold fetch them in and try placing them on a window ledge where they can still get the sunlight.
      What sort of temperature do you have when you think it is too cold?
      Most cannabis plants can tolerate temps lower than you would think. It depends on what strain they are though. Down to around 10C (50F) should be OK. However, when your plants are so small they are very delicate so take care. Try and insulate the soil with a bit of horticultural fleece or something, and keep the pot bases up and away from direct contact with the cold ground.

Comment

Oh just to add. Florida's frosts are mostly at night, and the freezing weather is usualy gone, and warmed up by 10-11 am, So you could put them out every morning, and bring them in at night, and they should be safe. but check the daily weather reports to be safe.

But generally watch the strawberry fields you have there (For those of you not a local, Plant Cities main export is strawberries) because Strawberries can't stand cold below 50 degrees F. Which, as I just learned, is about the same for Cannabis. Always nice to learn I was doing something right!

Comment

Okay so for me? 60 is too cold lol but I think its about 50-55 out so good. Ill take my babies out and let them get some like. Ill put a barrier around the sides to keep cold breeze off of them since they are still soo tiny! Next time ill just wait till Feb.watching the farmers is such a good idea... THANK YOU!!

Comment

When should i put them in the earth?

Comment

2-3 weeks, around the mid of next month. Which is, most likely, when you will see the fields get sowed.

Oh, and from personal experience down there. Don't tell a soul that you grow, even friends. What happens is your friend tells a friend, and that friend starts to go looking.

Comment

Working...
              X