Doing a test grow, tips appreciated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a test grow, tips appreciated.

Alright, I have a bit of experience but not a whole lot. I used to do small plots back when I lived in florida out in some swampy woods near where I grew up. I managed a couple havests in my time, but mostly teenagers hunted down and usualy ripped up my plants (trying to transplant without even a shovel!) because one year after harvest my buddy/grow partner told a couple people how we got so much pot.

Anyways I moved to tenessee and I have a buddy up here that owns a few acres of wooded land, and we decided that in the spring we are going to go and make a nice plot, grow some bag seeds (We don't want to risk ordering premium seeds online for a few reasons, one of which being this is our first grow in the area so practicing on cheap seeds seems the best way. plus legal issues)

So here is the sitch: The ground is rather compacted and hard, and covered in pine needles, which means the ground SHOULD be on the acidic side of the PH scale. I was thinking to get a soil conditioner, The Happy Frog soil conditioner from Fox Farms is available down here, and is in our budget range. I was thinking Soil conditioner might be the best way to save money and get good growing soil. Plus since weed likes slightly acidic soil, it seems like a good idea.

But what sort of nutes should we use? I was thinking of a water soluble tomato fertalizer for the veg stage, due to the high NPK rating they tend to have. (I found one that's 18-18-25) which SHOULD be perfect for the veg stage, if I understand things correctly. Since it has all the nitrogen it needs for growing, and phosphorus and potasium for good root growing and photosenthesis. But what about the flowering stage? I understand that you get better bud growth if you do a couple plain watererings without nutes, and then switch to nutes with no nitrogen, and high phosphorus and potasium. Do I understand that correct? I also hear putting a bit of epsom salt or molasis in with the nutes in the flowering stage helps increase the growth, due to the high magnesium content.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions? Would pictures of the spot, and soil condition help?

Sould I do a square plot, or should I do rows? In my experience they both tend to work but due to past situations, it is hard to tell which is best. Rows seem like they are more cost productive though. And does putting a small layer of gravel actually help? Seems counter productive since the roots would have to go through the gravel, right?

Hi there Mannfried
    A slightly acidic soil sounds good. If this is fertile soil then I wouldn't worry too much about feeding. As this is an experiment you could try some without feeding at all. They should thrive all the same. They thrive in harsh mountain environments where there is nobody to feed them at all!
    If you do want to feed then fertilizer for fruiting tomatoes should give you all you need. For flowering your garden/outdoor center should sell a product that is high in P and K and this will help you. As for extra mag - see how they grow without it first.
    For a soil conditioner you could add any well rotted compost, or just buy some sacks of soil conditioner from the shops.
    Although I'm mostly saying that you shoulod pretty much leave them alone here, adding gravel really can be worth while. Cannabis doesn't like to get her feet wet and good drainage is key. The roots will grow through without hindrance. I would place gravel at the bottom of the holes and dig in soil conditioner laced with planty of perlite or vermiculite to increase drainage.
    And as for lines or square. Deffo square, this way they also help support each other and create competition for light which should help them grow more quickly.
    Anyway, that's just my opinion. Indoors I would be much more likely to mess about with feeding formulas etc. But outdoors, if they are planted into the ground, pretty much leave them to get on with it.
    Good luck my friend. Let us know how you get on.
    And yes, a photo of the site woul be good, but make sure it doesn't give away where it is. I hear they can be quite strict in Tennesee.

Comment

Well the ground is really hard, which is why I was thinking of using a soil conditioner, there's even some clay laced in there I'm pretty sure. So i was thinking that it would really help loosen the soil up. Back in florida I did raised plots using dried out mud/dirt from beside water, which had it's own natural compost and plenty of nutrients, and was very nice once dried, and then re-broken up. So the soil is what concerned me most. Good to know that it should be just fine.

In the next week or so I'll post some pics of the site. We have a couple ideas in mind, so we are narrowing it down through a few catagories, convienance to the house, concealability, and the ground. (We want as level of ground as possible, which can be...Difficult. We will, no doubt, need to level the ground out ourselves, so the sheer amount of work needed is a factor.)

Thank you very much for the tips!

Comment

You might want to stay away from molasses, squirrels and bears love it, so do deer and you will be calling them - slo-han

Comment

Originally posted by slo-han View Post
          You might want to stay away from molasses, squirrels and bears love it, so do deer and you will be calling them - slo-han
          Thanks for the tip, since I know there are some bears in the general area. It would really suck to walk out there and find a big black bear chowing on our girls!

Comment

Alright so, we hit a couple snags. heavy rains bent them down to the ground, so I supported them. One immediately started to look better with the support. After a bit I realized they grew upwards a lot quicker then they should, so the stems are pretty thin. And that's when I guessed that there is to much clay laced in the soil, that it's probably not letting a lot of neutrients through, like Potassium. I use a 9-4-9 fertalizer right now, for vegging, so this should NOT be an issue. So I took the same nutrient water I was using, poured it onto there leave,s and saw an immediate reaction for the positive. So i got a spray bottle, and am now spraying down the leaves heavilly, to see how this helps. I think it's a potassium deficiency. Any tips?

Comment

Alright, update time. We managed to save 3 from the original sowing, and they are looking good. The new foliar spraying seems to work well, but I notice a slight, and I mean slight, yellowishness to the leaves, so I think they are taking to much Nitrogen in. So i'm going to dial back the nutes a bit, and see how they react, starting next feeding. (I feed once a week, and water as needed)

All that being said, we tried to plant with the rest of the area twice now, once germenating them in the ground, and once germenating them in a cup of water. (My prefered method is to drop the seeds into a cup of water for about 48 hours, once they are cracking, I plant them. Seems to work with fantastic resaults generally) And not a SINGLE sprout, not one. We couldn't figure it out. So we racked our brains and finally decided that clay particles must be running off down hill to out spot,because the top of the ground seemed harder then it should. So we broke out the shovels, dug up the ground (keeping a 2 foot space between where we dug, and our existing plants) Loosened the soil up, the dirt under the top few inches was still rather soft. So we broke it up, mixed it up a bit, and replanted in the now soft soil. We are hoping to see some green within the week.

Comment

Cool. You will know as a gardener that good ground preparation is essential. Be sure to dig in plenty of organic matter if you want to use the site for the future too. Some sand or grit may help with the clay pan too.

Comment

I had considered sand, but didn't know if it was a good idea to mix it in. Thanks for the tip.
                  Yeah, we are workign with what we have now, and next year, we will put more work into it, and make it better. Limited budget killed us this year. Anyways, tomorrow I'm heading out to look at the plants. So i will update you with what I see then. I can't find the cord to charge my camera, or I'de upload pics.

Comment

Oh, and question? There are a TON of bushes, plants, and such in the area. What if we chopped thes down and let them decompose, at the end of the season, to help with next year? Good idea? or will this make the area fill with weeds?

Comment

Mannfreid, the more open - the better to see you with! Suggest you start a compost bin in another place and use that. Those cameras in the sky see lots - ever google your place? Try that some time, it's a trip. I try to make everything look natural from the air and go for the thickest place to garden. I used 5 year old chicken leavens and saw dust in my soil my first time(it was rocky soil). I added wood ash and lime and crushed egg shells as well. We have a slug problem here and the shells poke them and it's also good for the soil - calcium. Best garden we ever had - just sayin -slo

Comment

Alright, i don't know what's going on here. One of them suddenly has dark odd feeling patches on it's leaves. And the other has a bunch of white spots. Here's some ( admittedly low quality) pictures. 20100707035527.jpg 20100707035542.jpg 20100707035602.jpg 20100707035614.jpg 20100707035623.jpg 20100707035630.jpg 20100707035654.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wrong post! Sorry
                          Last edited by GnOMouS; 06-15-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I really wouldn't worry too much. From looking at the pics, it looks like they are the first true leaves of the plants. These leaves only last a few weeks at best. So it's only the plant using up the stored elements in its leaves. Has your plant gets bigger you'll soon see it pick up.

Comment

Ahh. Alright then. i just never seen them look like that before. That's good. Thanks

Comment

• thegreengrower
                                thegreengrower commented
                                Editing a comment
                                No worries.. We can all tend to be a little over protective with our babies.. Most common problem ; killing them with kindness.. Just remember its a weed,, nothing but,, and it will thrive when left to its on devices.
                            Working...
                            X