wall material for grow box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall material for grow box

I have some stuff called astro-cooler that is used in transportation, hvac, and construction applications. it is very reflective and holds warmth and reflects cold, it will also reflect heat if reversed. it is made of bubble wrap and some type of foil stuff ??? not sure if it is mylar or what.
    has anyone heard of or used this in a home made grow box? I am slowly getting a 24 inch X 40 inch X 60 inch box built and would like to use this stuff...it is unfortunate that my budget is very low. I can paint the inside white, but with cold weather coming it might be better with the astro-cooler stuff.
    TIA crazy

Hi Crazy,
    I can say that I never heard of it but my first thought is what is the material made of? If I was you I would send an email to the company and ask them what the material is made of and if they won't tell you ask them if it can be used in a green house for growing tomatoes and chilies since both of these are similar to cannabis in a sense. That's just my opinion. I had tried to google information on this product but it just talks about that it is used in freight shipping over seas and other applications. I had found its website hxxp://www.astrocooler.com/index.html#applications and it say's it's used in many products. My concern would be when you email them ask about if it is reflective like mylar because you don't want something that is going to absorb the photons and light particles because then it will be of no use to you. I am going to see if I can find any more information and I will let you know. Hopefully someone else knows about this material.

Comment

Thanks for the response DarkLotus, very good info about the material absorbing light and photons.That was beyond my thinking and knowledge...I'll email them and ask your question...some times free materials work...some times they don't... I'll let you know what I find out.
      Cheers crazy

Comment

Worth looking into. Good insulation and reflective qualities would be great. Do you know how it handles humidity?

Comment

Saturnalia, I'm not sure about how it handles humidity. here is the response email from the manufacture :Thank you for contacting us through our website.
          Most of our material is made of aluminum and polyethylene.
          Our products can be used to insulate an out building .
          However, they are not only opaque but reflective, meaning any light not absorbed would most likely be reflected away from your plants.

I hope this is helpful.
          Best regards -
          Stuart Spencer

Comment

Hi Crazy,
            From what they wrote you back it looks to me that it will absorb most of your light and what it doesn't it will more than likely not even reflect back on your plants properly which is a bad thing because you would be losing light that your plants would need ending up with airy buds or other problems. I would go to Home Depot or Amazon or ebay's website they carry rolls of mylar. Amazon has 48 Inch Wide by 50 Ft. Length for like 20 bucks. Or go the flat white paint route its up to you and its your pennies your spending bro.

Comment

Thanks DarkLotus,at least I can use this stuff as insulation to reflect the cold with the shiny side out. A flat white is what I'll use for now when my grow box is finished...being a new grower with no green thumb, I appreciate your input.
              Cheers crazy

Comment

No Problem Mate, Lol I am new to growing myself in a sense I just started growing indoors in a tent I use to grow outside but with the laws passed in my state we are no longer able to grow outdoors in the area I live in only indoors so I had to change my grow methods and do a lot of research on growing indoors. As for that insulation it would of been good if it was useable like mylar but it isn't it could of opened a lot of different possibilities but you got the right idea to use it as insulation to keep the cold out. Good luck and post a pick once you got your grow box up I would like to see the finish product.

Comment

Working...
                X