soil prep again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soil prep again

Hi everyone, haven't had luck finding a small bag of perlite in this podunk area. What I did find at a store was miracle grow infused perilite, that has a slow release of the stuff. If I rinse it, then mix it with the 420 soil will it be OK ?.... I had to start a new batch of seedlings due to being a clumsy ass and knocking over 3 that were doing good. Hopefully I can get a few more bag seeds to germinate. Also is a 3 gallon nursery pot big enough for the plants to survive in ?
    Assembled Depth (in.) 9.625 in Assembled Height (in.) 11 in
    Assembled Width (in.) 9.625 in Color Family Black
    Thanks in advance crazy
    Last edited by crazy_teuful; 10-10-2014, 10:50 PM. Reason: adding to post

can you find vermiculite? its works also. I do this with my soil.
    1 gal potting soil nute free
    1 gal peet moss
    1 gal clay pellet kitty litter at walmart with no scent for $3.80 a bag
    1 gal wood chips
    1 gal of perlite or vermiculite.
    this has great drainage and it also holds enough water for a few days easy. I do rinse the kitty liter pellets first and the perlite to remove any dust ect. dont ever breath perlite dust.

Comment

I chop and change between perlite and vermiculite. They both do the job.
      Interested in your mix dc420. Was just looking at the kitty litter the other day and saying to the missus "that's got to be worth looking at".
      What sort of wood chips do you use? They could help maybe me bring the pH down. Mine always sits at 7, which works OK, but I would be happier if I could stabilize it at 6.5.

Comment

I just pic up the wood chips at a local tree removal company. I sort out the huge chunks, use them in the fire pit to help get it going. Pine bark is what most want to use. Special Kitty is the brand i use for kitty liter THe next batch will have no perlite but more kittly litter since its working so good. i will also reuse my soil after i add it to the compost pile for a winter/summer. Some sue theres right away. I could since i do the boiling water treatement to start the finish(4-14 days) depending how much a hurry i am in. Riddleme leaves his for 45-50 days after a boil. I dont have the space for that.

Comment

Working...
        X