Newbie Plant Grower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Plant Grower

~~Well, let me first start out by saying this is by far the most helpful website I have ever been to when it comes to growing MJ. I have a little of a green thumb but not when it comes to growing indoors. I am building a setup in my guest bedroom and I am having trouble with the lighting. To be more specific, that is the only thing I am lacking to start. I have covered my 6ft by 4ft walls with mylar film, or something like that, and the ceiling is probably going to be 5ft from the pots. I have asked many people on their recommendations on lights but they all say different things. What should I purchase and what watts for veg stage and/or flowering. HELP

Hi Ashlie. Welcome to the forum. It mostly depends on your budget.

Cheapest option is CFLs. You will need a few of these and they are not the most efficient and can cause light buds with low weights.

Mid range is high intensity discharge lamps. These are the ones that are like street lights or the lights you see in sports arenas or used for floodlighitng. Best option is to have metal halide for veg and then change to HPS for flowering. If you can only afford one bulb then the HPS will do for both.

Most expensive option is the LEDs. The top of the range ones of these will provide the best performance with the lowest running costs. However they can be initially quite expensive. You should avoid some of the cheaper imported LEDs as these will veg with no problem but can sometimes struggle to create good buds.

In my experience most people prefer the high intensity discharge lamps. Is 6 X 4 the footprint of your growing area? You could get a 1000W HID in there but might get better coverage with 2 X 400W. If you use HIDs you will need to watch the temperature and take measures to keep it down.

Hope that helps a bit. Ask away if you have more specific questions.

Comment

Working...
    X