Needing Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing Help

I have started an indoor hydroponic system. I have a 400 watt HS light. I have done so much reading... there is a ton of info out there and so much of it is contradicted by just another site. I had the light 12" off the top of the as per instructed via some reading...... then I noticed what seems to be heat stress. (leaves curling up) I read more on another site and I moved the light to 4' off the top of the plant and that seemed to do ok. I check the Ph always and keep it at 6.5-6.8. I have floragrow nutrients. I found some alge starting on the rockwool cubes so I covered the rockwool with water proof tops. I have them in a small 5'x2' closet with a fan as well. The temp flexes between 71 and 88 Fahrenheit. occasionally reaching 91 fahrenheit (for short spurts) The plants look healthy should I put an additional exhaust fan? Should I trim the curled up leaves or just leave them? I also saw some wilting right after putting the covers over the rockwool but it seemed to perk up by morning. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a first timer. Thank you.
    Last edited by mari-ju-ana; 08-04-2014, 10:07 PM.

Hi there. Yes there is a lot of info about and it can sometimes seem confusing and contradictory. As with all things, nothing is better than personal experience. By the time you get to the end of your first grow you will already know what you want to do differently next time.
    I will try to help with some of your issues.
    Firstly, 4' seems like quite a long way. It is better than scorching the leaves but might cause your plant to stretch a lot and become leggy. Try moving it a bit closer every day until you get to a point where the plant shows the first signs of heat stress, then back it up a few inches and that is the distance you want.
    91 is a bit hot, but if the plants look healthy and it is just for a short period of time do not worry. I have had plants hotter than that and they have thrived.
    You do not say what hydro system you are using. With hydro it is crucial that the root system gets plenty of oxygen. Do your waterproof caps prevent oxygen getting to the roots via the rockwool? If so, then remove them. If not and the plants are happy, then leave them.
    For me the most important lesson I ever learned when growing is - listen to your plants. There is a lot of information about, but if you're plants look sick then something is wrong. The opposite is also true. If your plants seem happy and healthy, then carry on doing what you're doing.
    Good luck with your grow. Fire away if you have more questions.

Comment

HPS is the light I have and I also have air raiders in the water supply....... I added an exhaust fan that moves 65 cubic ft of air an hour and left the system over night....... I seem to still be having heat issues....... UGH I do the hand test and there is no heat at all on my hand...... temps no higher than previously mentioned but I would like to lower it. I would still like to know if I am doing the right things and if my temp range is ok or should I consider sealing the room with a window shaker a/c or is what I have sufficient. It seems to keep my humidity at a range of 53% and dropping to as low as 38%. Should I make a sealed shade for the HPS light hood? What material can I safely use? Glass? Plexi glass? Please help.

Comment

Thanks Schmokin ... the wick hydro is what I am using.... this morning when I got up and looked at "the girls" (lol) they seemed good. I put my hand at the top of the plants and feel no heat at all. should I feel a little of heat? I have a digital thermometer in the closet and it reads between 71 and 88 degrees then when I added the humidity meter it also has a thermometer on it and it reads different by like 3 to 5 degrees (higher) Now what do I do lol? I see some curling of the leaves still but very mild....... and there are a couple of leaves from before that are curled up a lot should I snip them off? The color is good...... very green...... there is a ton of activity going on tons of new growth. Is there another reason for the curling up of leaves? and should I feel a bit of heat at the top of the plants? I never thought it would be so technical growing a weed lol live and learn........ and I told my hubby that once we get over this first round (6 plants) we will be pros. lol

Comment

Here are some pics....... this is under the lights.......

Comment

• BenJ
            BenJ commented
            Editing a comment
            How do Mari-ju-ana im just starting on this Site, ,looks good im gona put up some pick's of my op up soon ..
            Your plant's are looking good but your heat spiking a bit, you don't wanna be vegging under hps it's not necessary so it's a waste of electricity, you want a 200 watt energy saver there all the plant want's or need's and there's very little heat it'll make your life much easier. i flower with a 600 hps you may as well go the bit extra-- they take some controlling tho ventilation is so important, I recommend Co2 tablet's there about 15 quid a jar, you lob 1 in for every 5 liter's of feed and you can lob a few in a glass of water and it keep's your room Co2'd for a few day's,, i've noticed a difference with them there great for an op like yours

Hi BenJ. Am interested in these CO2 tablets. Where did you get them?

Sorry to hijack your thread Mari-ju-ana

Comment

• BenJ
            BenJ commented
            Editing a comment
            My local grow store stock them i looked in B&Q and a few others an couldn't find them so it's probably just grow stores.. you can put a few tabs in a glass of water and flood your room with co2 work's really well at nite when your fan's shut down, all-tho Ive hear they don't absorb co2 when they sleep, i think that's shit tho cause I've noticed significant nite growth and then more so when i start adding the tab's .. I haven't yet but i mite try to source them on line, I'd imagine they can be found cheaper

• BenJ
            BenJ commented
            Editing a comment
            There's no brand name on these it just says Co2TABS... There is this tho www.idrogrow.com

no worries Saturnalia......... thanx for the imput.... BenJ check out the additional pics I put up the pics here are at 7 days after sprouting then 15 days after and tomorrow i will post pics of my girls at 23 days old....... keep tuned......

Comment

• BenJ
            BenJ commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah there growing anyway that's the main thing for the minute,, that light is killing you if you had a 200w energy saver the leaves would be pointing up heading for the light and in turn you would have slightly bigger little plant's.. I did exactly the same thing when i started i bought a 600hps and struggled for month's before i realized you just don't veg under a big bulb like that the plant's are to week as babies,, if i was you there now i'd be spraying them load's ! worring about the leaves getting crispy dry-never let that happen ,,,...
            I'm smokin some lovely Afghan kush right now,, recked !

Have you got a picture size limit to deal with ? I'm trying to put up pic's it's not being very cooperative

one more post to follow with 23 days of growth.... thats where i am now.......... continued.....

Comment

Comment

• BenJ
              BenJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Your ready to come out of those little cup's now

• BenJ
              BenJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Is this hydro ? i thought you were soil sorry, disregard

From these pics your plants look very healthy and happy. It's hard to make out any details on the leaves but I reckon you are doing great.When leaves curl or cup it is known as canoeing. Canoeing upwards is often (but not always) a sign of heat stress. The stomata of the leaves are underneath and the plant stretches them open to try and cool itself down. If it is only mild canoeing I wouldn't worry too much, Just keep an eye on those temps.
            And I wouldn't bother removing the curled leaves either, not unless they are clearly dying back.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X