Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 3-in-1 setup, any critics or advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 3-in-1 setup, any critics or advice?

Hey everyone, my name is Jay and I've grown beautiful bud in the past using the traditional soil method. Recently, I've taken much interest in hydroponic/aeroponic setups, so I decided to build one. Only thing is, I've probably built one of the most complex "in home" systems I could think up. Basically taking everything I've learned about plants and growing bud and compiled it all into one system. Fully assembled my setup operates as a DWC (Deep Water Culture), Aeroponic, Top-Drip System. It's actually pretty cool. I have incorporated a separate, yet attached, 20 Gal. reservoir with pumps to circulate water from one reservoir to the next, complete with air rocks, and homemade grow box. I've started this batch of 4 plants using two 300watt replacement CFL's. So far I have 4 tiny 1", sprouts that have already started rising. I haven't added any form of nutrients, since I have no experience with the setup I've built. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? P.s Currently the system is set to top drip/dwc. I will post pics to show what Im working with.

Great to see you here Delta 9 Newb, personally I like to see some fun with the CFL gear in tubs as it teaches you so much about hydro really quickly. The guys and gals on the forum will chime in with their help on nutes for sure. Welcome!

Comment

Hi Jay Welcome to the forum. I have been thinking of building myself a wee DWC system so am very interested in how this turns out for you. From what I can see you have covered all bases. In fact, with the top feed and all you have taken this further than I intended. I was just going to build a simple bucket DWC without any other feed.
      Not sure about what nutrients to use as I have only grown in soil up to now and have no experience with hydro nutes. There's plenty of folk here that have though.
      Check out the nutrient section on this forum. Admin made a few posts reviewing all the leading nutes in detail. This might help you.
      I will be watching your progress with interest.
      https://forum.howtogrowmarijuana.com/...trient-reviews

Comment

Welcome Delta 9 Newb

Same with me, strickly soil grower here, but I have heard that a great nutrient line for what your doing is the Flora Series from General Hydroponics.

Looks like a great set~up, Also really interested in how this will work. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice. Not sure if you had noticed the tiny micro misters that are incorporated into the DWC making it also an aeroponic feeder as well. Only thing is i have one reservoir for all three systems, will the nutrients interact with the plant differently because i am using different delivery methods?

Comment

@Delta 9

I think you'll be fine with either of your delivery systems. The Flora series is a liquid plant food nutrient line~up that is added to water anyways and breaks down completely when added to water, as long as you make sure it's mixed well.

Not sure where your at, or if the Flora Series nutrients will be available to you there, if not, any water soluble plant food nutrient, must be used as to not clog~up your system.

Granulated nutrients if used also must be completely diluted before adding if nothing else is available to you. You can also visit a hydro supply store where they will be able to help you with your selection, those people usually know what's best for your grow.

Here is the General Hydro's feeding schedule.

custom cannabis schedule for the GH Flora trio

Comment

Hi Delta 9. It's ,maybe worth pointing out that, with one main reservoir, you will limit yourself to growing the same plants at the same stage all the time because you won't be able to change the nutrient concentration to suit individual strains. For example, if you had two different strains growing and one exhibited signs of a nitrogen deficiency, you would not be able to adapt your nutrients for just that plant, you would need to boost the nitrogen for the other plants too, and that could be too much for them.
              Likewise, if you had a long flowering plant and a short flowering plant side by side, they may require you to ramp up the feed at different times, which you would not be able to do.
              Of course, if you plan to always grow the same strains together this is not an issue, but it is maybe worth bearing in mind.
              The system itself looks great. These hybrid systems that use more than one hydroponic method are known to be very productive. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks @ Schmokin, unfortunately i just discovered what you are talking about as 3 of my plants are THC Bomb and one is Super Silver Haze. One plant is already starting tp turn yellow and wither, would you know what i could do to save this plant? Its a THC Bomb strain.

Comment

@Delta 9

Never gone the hydro route before, but am trying to figure out what you might be able to do to save that THC Bomb, if it's not too late already.

Maybe you could transplant it into a container, with a good basic soil mixture till it stabilizes and recovers, then if all'z good, back to your top drip DWC set~up??

Just an idea, I don't know if this would work. It might give you a chance to get it growing healthier on it's own again. Early Veg stage can be tricky even for us soil growers when nutrients need to start being added. That is the most critical stage for me when growing my plants. I always worry if I'm going to fry them every time, when I start them on nutrients.

Even growing multi~strains in soil at the same time, I have experienced fussy plants that won't except the same amount of nutrients as the rest and had to special feed them thru to harvest, with lower amounts of nutrients.

Sorry I don't have more info for you. Wish you and the THC Bomb the best of luck. Keep us posted on how it's going. A good research read~thru on youtube might give you some better ideas too. I know Schmokin would know what to advise you to do, he knows alot more than I do about hydro.
                  Last edited by Blaze4daze; 09-19-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

**PROGRESS UPDATE** Hey guys, just giving an update to the heartache and success I've had over the last, I believe 3 to 4 weeks. Unfortunately I was unable to save any of the THC Bombs, though I tried everything I could think of. I still for the life of me can't figure out why they kept wilting and turning more and more yellow, even though the N-P-K levels were perfect, the ph was perfect, and there are no lighting issues. I even added a small 25w red spectrum incandescent light to help the veg along. Nothing worked. On the up side, the one Super Silver Haze is flourishing. There is still some type of deficiency in her nutrients, would help if anyone could help. But she is growing strong, has a nice thick trunk and is already at about 7 tiers high. I have photos and I'll show you the nutrients I'm using. Again, I'm always open to opinions and ideas, thanks a lot guys. Shout out @Blaze4daze the idea you had worked great to keep the Super Silver Haze alive and well, she's back in the top drop for 4 days now and is doing amazing, the roots have already come through the bottom of a 6" cup! Kind of stuck here though, don't know if I should go through the aeroponic setup or just keep it a DWC/Top Drip? Thanks again for the help!

Comment

I can say you have the bottom part down but missed the top part a bit. Fuorescent t5HO 54 watt lights will change it all for the better. ATI bulbs-actinic/ super coral and true lumen 460 blue hits all the spectrums from 360-500 plus has 15000k which give a few peaks in the 600's so with 4100k bulbs it can be perfect. I grow with all the lights and till this fluorescent setup i was torn between led/hps/cmh. the fluroescent kills when it come to frost. sure i love my super hps 600 it is growing fatter buds but not as much frost. to be honest i would love to have drop down hps with fluorescent over the top and on the other side. between them wow. Led can kick ass but no way am i paying that price when i can beet it.

Comment

Try turning the aeroponics off. Some strains have a hard time with absorbing chemicals and the lights with fans can dry out and turn the leaves yellow in spots with spills and splashes, by drying before absorption. With wanting to keep the light as close as possible so not to have spindly growth you may be over doing it with giving them so many options to absorb. Try just misting with water once a day. Indicas seem to be more prone to this for me and sativas seem to be more resilient. Hope this helps. Happy growing

Comment

Working...
                        X