1st time grower, leaf problem not spreading to other healthy plants - pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time grower, leaf problem not spreading to other healthy plants - pics

First try at growing, lost 1 to under watering and the next from using Neem oil to kill the bugs/mites/flying kind too. So I have left 1 (white widow) growing very well, one of the original one died so I replanted another using the same named seed-it's really growing. I have been spraying 1/4 strength fungicide on the really sick one, it appears to be getting worse. There are some fungus knats - less than 10 - no obvious signs of fungus. How would I go about killing the knats and the eggs they must be laying under the soil?
    In comparing my leaves to photo's of distressed ones on this site - it could be a calcium deficiency. Also, last week I repotted the sickly plant - it had good root growth but not sure of the color of the roots. Is it ok to pull the plant out of the plastic pot to check the roots?
    I have a 4ft long light fixture with 8-T5 grow bulbs. Been using aired-out tap water with just enough all-purpose plant food (1/4 teaspoon per 3 gal water) to color the water. Feed with that once a week, plain water rest of the time. All suggestions welcome!!!
    - this is harder than I thought.

From what ive been reading is to let your plant dry out as much as 1-2 inches down into your grow medium, as it will dry out the eggs and deter adults from laying eggs. Avoid over watering your plant too as it makes it a prime candidate for them. You can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the soil. You can also get what they call yellow sticky cards, apparently they are attracted to the colour yellow.

Comment

I get regular fly paper rolls and stick them to cardboard to make sticky pads... then everything Katzie said... You may be over doing the neem oil, use it once, wait a few days at least, maybe even wait a few days and only spray with water to rinse any thing left on the plants off, bugs, eggs, larvae... Fans also help with keeping bugs off, if you have a decent exhaust fan, they will get sucked into that if they are blown off the plants...

Also, noticed you are using the MG all purpose plant food, you might have better luck with the Tomato food, it has more Phosphate which may be some of the purple discoloration you are seeing?
      Last edited by coconutisland; 01-09-2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X